Re: CMDB: Define "Clusters" of Servers?

** Hi Ray;

Interesting request - and really what you are trying to is a pure CMDB-sim as I say...

I (personally) don't like the term "Cluster" as I immediately think about physical clusters of systems such as fail-over, etc especially for this topic, because your terms are better suited as:

Environment (Development / QA / Production)
Application (Peoplesoft / Oracle)

So if you create a CI (Choose something like "Document" - [Never figured a good use for this anyway :) ] ) and Create something like

Oracle
Oracle10
Oracle11

Then you can relate Oracle-->Oracle10 and Oracle-->Oracle11
Then you can relate Oracle10 --> Computer_systems / Oracle11 --> Computer_systems

Make the "Relationship Type" "Member of Collection"

However I would also suggest that you can also setup "Applications" in the CMDB just as well to document things from the "application container"...

As far as the "environment" goes I'd use the CI Field "System Role" to capture the environment...

As far as scripting - since they are just standard tables / views just the standard API (Java / Perl / etc) can be utilized to query the tables appropriately and return the data required.

HTH
Robert