Re: Custom apps + Remedy v9.1?

**

Personally I am in favor of using overlays even on a completely homegrown system. I remember a time when there were only 20 or 30 forms in a base AR System installation (Including Email Engine), but that is no longer the case. I just looked at an ARInside run against a fresh install of 9.0 GA and there are 403 forms out of the box. These are all forms, that if modified in the Base layer, can cause an upgrade to fail. The form count will be even larger in the future because CMDB is slated to be included as part AR System in the next major release (REF: https://communities.bmc.com/community/programs/blog/2016/06/03/bmc-remedy-platform-95-beta-program).

What I have found is often the customizations people made to out of the box forms are often made to Group, User, AR System Email Messages, etc. Typically the changes are minimal and it isn't too painful to update the customizations to use Overlays in Best Practice mode.

For example we didn't adopt Best Practice mode when we upgraded to 7.6.04. When we upgraded to 8.1 we went ahead and converted our customizations to out of the box forms to use Overlays (wan't painful at all). Now as we have been working on our upgrade to 9.1 we don't even worry about our customizations to the out of the box forms.

Jason