Re: Custom apps + Remedy v9.1?

**

Carina,

I may be spitting into the wind here, but you may want to compare migrating to ITSM vs adding “user friendly/self service” to what is already working.

As previously noted the best approach is a clean install of ITSM and determine what functions need to be added to the OOB config.

This analysis is a major effort. Once the additional functions are identified, the correct approach is to add only buttons/active links that open external (to ITSM) forms with their own workflow.

The ITSM overlays will preserve these links without any impact upon or from ITSM.

Adding the missing functions to ITSM needs to be done very carefully, with an understanding of how overlays work.

These complex modifications, as Doug Mueller often points out, are <cough> discouraged.

An alternative would be to keep the custom app (wind speed increasing) and create “user friendly/self service” views on old forms, or new front-end forms.

This will allow ‘pushing’ data to the existing application to take advantage of the ‘mature’ workflow.

I suspect that the level of effort to analyze, re-build ‘must have’ functions, integrate and deploy ITSM will be significantly greater than building a shiny new front end.

If management is insisting on moving to an (almost) all OOB ITSM, at least you can identify the full cost.

Hope this helps,

Joel

Joel Sender  *   JDSender@earthlink.net  *  310.829.5552