Is it a good idea to eliminate the use of Diary Fields?

**
Hello Listers,

Is there a downside to replacing diary fields with a different method of capturing work activity?
Since diary fields don’t show up in Mid Tier Web reporting I was looking into a way to replace the diary field for reporting.

We actually have reports that get created in csv format for Excel that use the Diary.
Occasionally we have a diary so large it breaks the cell character limit in Excel.

I was contemplating using a table field to display records from a work activity form and then using either a join or some other temporary means to gather the activity into a report.

Can I use an unlimited Display Only field to dump the diary during the report process?
Is there a better mouse trap for collecting large amounts of data and reporting it?

As always, thanks in advance.

Thank you,
---
John J. Reiser
Building 760-J202
Remedy AR System Developer
Senior Software Development Analyst
Lockheed Martin - RMS Moorestown Region
The star that burns twice as bright burns half as long.
Pay close attention and be illuminated by its brilliance. - paraphrased by me