From: Warren R. Baltimore II <warrenbaltimore@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, June 8, 2018 11:14 AM
To: ARSList <arslist@arslist.org>
Subject: Re: OT: Resumes

LJ,

Years ago, in a Galaxy far, far away (The Ohio State University Medical Center) I worked recruitment.  I had to go through HUNDREDS of resumes for Nurses, Civil Service People, Allied Health professionals and Research Assistants a day.  Needless to say, it gets a bit tedious!

The one thing that I would tell people is that you need to create a Resume that will do 2 things.

  1. Get past that initial person (this was me) who had to identify potential candidates, but maybe didn't necessarily understand everything that they were reading.  For this person, you want to clearly identify your experience, education and motivations.  You want to list your degrees, professional certifications and associations.  Try not to leave any gaping holes in your time line.  Try to keep it to one page, but don't go past 2.
  2. Once you are past that first person, you want this resume to also speak to the person who is likely making the decisions on who to bring in.  They are going to look for the more technical information.

Remember, you can always bring a second resume to the interview that speaks a bit more directly and technically to the manager.

My feeling about conversational v. bullet points....conversational is just harder to digest and tends to run long.  Bullet points pull out those items you want to highlight and make them plain to see.  The cover letter can be conversational if you wish, but don't get long winded!

Just my 2 cents!

PS....I write the WORST resumes.  You would think after 12 years in HR, I would have gotten better at it!

😜